Top 10 Phuket Tours and Day Trips
Most of the trips we do as a family from Phuket are done "our own way" without joining any organised or paid tour. And for us that's easy enough as we have transport, we know the roads, we can speak Thai plus we enjoy exploring on our own. On many of the pages on this blog about trips such as Phang Nga Bay or visiting waterfalls I will post directions and maps so if you want to hire a car and explore, go for it! For other trips we get help from our friends who have a tour company called Easy Day Thailand - such as when we visited Koh Tachai Island and we've done trips as a group with these guys to Racha Yai Island, Koh Yao Yai Island and more. There is a lot to do here, lots of trips and that does not include local sightseeing to places like the Big Buddha, Cape Phromthep, old Phuket Town. When I stop to think about it, there is way too much to do here! Indeed after so many years here, we still find new places to explore and there are lots of trips and organised tours that we have not done, I guess because we're not tourists!
My friends at Easy Day Thailand started by offering private tours and personal service. The private tours they offer are my recommendation, but they will also sell cheaper group tours and can offer airport transfers plus some tours in other parts of Thailand like Krabi, Kanchanaburi or transfers from Phuket to Samui or Koh Tao. Pretty much anything really, just ask them!
Contact Easy Day Thailand Here and tell them Jamie sent you - and enjoy your trip!
I have resisted adding any "top 10 attractions" list on the blog, because I think that depends what you are interested in. There are hundreds of pages on this blog and please do spend an hour browsing for information and ideas. You'll find there's more to Phuket than is shown in travel brochures. A lot more! Rather than "my" top 10, I asked the Easy Day team for a list of their 10 best / most popular / recommended Phuket tours.
1. Exploring Phang Nga BayThis would normally be the first Phuket tour I would suggest to anyone. We've done Phang Nga Bay trips many times, most recently in 2017 - see here : Phang Nga Bay. Great scenery, several iconic views. You can do trips like we've done by longtail boat in private groups visiting places like Panyee village and James Bond Island (see photo), or there is a very popular (and lower price) tour including sea canoeing around several islands and caves. It's their best selling tour.
2. River Tubing & Jungle Safari at KapongKapong is in Phang Nga province to the north of Phuket Island. We have been in this area for a white water rafting tour, but the trip that is really recommended (and I must do it sometime) includes river tubing, swimming at a waterfall and elephant bathing and trekking .. and yeh, I know elephant trekking is not so trendy now, with concerns about cruelty, but I am assured this place looks after the elephants and they only take small groups.
3. Private Phi Phi Day TripI have not been to Phi Phi for quite a long time. It does tend to be rather crowded and most tours are on big boats with maybe 40 or 50 people. So they can be very cheap and that sounds attractive, and yes the scenery is very pretty despite the crowds, but a private tour is the way to go! Actually, it's best to stay overnight in Phi Phi and get a boat either late afternoon or early morning to avoid the daytrippers from Phuket! Easy Day can arrange that, or a private tour for a day from Phuket, so you get your own boat with a private guide in Phi Phi after taking a ferry from Phuket. And yes, this is more expensive that some of the real budget tours, but really worth the extra. Me and the family must go again sometime. Our last visit was years ago on a seaplane!
4. Khao Sok National ParkDay trips are possible to Khao Sok, although it's about 3 hours drive from Phuket and it's certainly best to stay a night. We have been many times and Easy Day Thailand use the same hotel that we have used - Cliff and River Resort. Tours include rafting or tubing on the river and/or a trip on the huge Ratchaprapha Lake. We love this area, great scenery, fresh jungle air, a nice change from Phuket!
Read more about the area here :
• Khao Sok National Park
(above) View from our room at the Cliff and River Resort in Khao Sok National Park
(above) On the lake at Khao Sok National Park
5. Krabi Kayaking and Adventure Day TripsKrabi is on the east side of Phang Nga Bay, and has some attractions that are a bit too far for a day trip such as the Emerald Pool and the Tiger Temple, plus many small offshore islands. You can also ask Easy Day about tours if you stay in the Krabi area, but some are available direct from Phuket. There are various tours available such as a 4 Island Tour, Sunset Cruises, Phi Phi Tours and the very popular Waree Raksa Hot Spring Spa.
(above) Kayaking in the Mangroves near Krabi
6. Koh Yao Yai and more IslandsThis is a new tour based on a trip we did in 2016 - see Koh Yao Yai Island. Day trips are possible, taking a boat from Bang Rong pier on the northeast coast of Phuket, but an overnight is better. Koh Yao Yai is a quiet island and the views from the east coast are great, looking across the bay towards the Krabi coast. Tours will also include stops at Hong Island and others. Some more great scenery here. You can actually do several day trips in different parts of Phang Nga Bay .. and we have!
(above) View from Thiwson Resort at Koh Yao Yai Island
7. Similan Islands Overnight SnorkelingThe Similan Islands I know very well! I spent many months on dive boats there and I was manager for many years at Sunrise Divers, booking people for diving trips right through the high season from mid October to early May. So please do contact Sunrise Divers for diving trips. Easy Day can book snorkelers on a couple of different trips. Day trips are possible, but are a bit rushed. An overnight trip is much more relaxed. There used to be an option to sleep in tents, but it was not really comfortable and the national park has (since 2018) stopped overnight stays on the islands. But you can stay in aircon cabins on a boat called Pansa Queen :) The Similan Islands really are beautiful!
(above) Similan Islands "Donald Duck Bay"
8. Surin Islands Overnight CampingThe Surin Islands are quite a long way from Phuket, it's an easier trip if you are staying in Khao Lak. Overnight or 2 night stays are possible, camping in the Surin Islands national park. A day trip is possible too. It's less crowded than the Similan Islands (because it's further away) and there is lots of great snorkeling plus you can visit the Moken Sea Gypsy village. Staying overnight is a real "get away from it all" experience.
9. Racha Yai Island Early BirdRacha Yai island, also called Raya Island, is a very popular day trip destination from Phuket. There are lots of boats and lots of snorkelers, plus dive boats along the reef and in the bays. I have dived there many times - see : Diving at Racha Yai. A few years ago we joined the Easy Day folks for an overnight trip - see : Overnight at Racha Yai. To beat the crowds, the early bird tour is a must. Hotel pick up 6 - 6:30am means you get to the island a few hours before anyone else! Or you can ask Easy Day about overnight options. If you stay on the island and wake up early, you also beat the crowds!
(above) Arriving at Racha Yai Island
10. Private Phuket Island Sightseeing ToursAs I mentioned at the top of the page, Phuket Island itself has many attractions and it's a big island! Easy Day do have a few "set tours" (half day, full day, evening weekend market tour), but you can also contact them for private Phuket tours to see whatever you want .. like maybe you want to start with sunrise at the Big Buddha and then visit Chalong Temple, maybe the Botanic Garden, then lunch in Phuket Town, then up a hill, or a stop at Phuket aquarium and catch an evening show at Siam Niramit, the options are more or less unlimited. Just ask!
(above) The Big Buddha
(above) View at Karon Viewpoint
(above) Sunday Market in old Phuket Town
Easy Day also offer Airport Transfers, Transfers to Phi Phi Islands or further afield, Phuket Cooking Classes and Sailing Cruises.
Of course, you can't see it all, which is why I do find that many people come back to Phuket for return visits. If you have a couple of beach days and a few tours that's a week gone and then you start to realise that there's a lot more here! For trips, tours, transfers, please do Contact Easy Day Thailand. The trips above are suggestions, some of their best sellers and trips that get the best feedback. If you have questions you can ask them! See you in Phuket!